It seems there is a world wide problem: The traditional dishes are dying out. I miss the „Kieler Semmel“ from Bäckerei Koll* or the „Kieler Franzbrötchen“ which is different from the one 100 km south in Hamburg.
Andrew from spittonextra started a-one-off blog event for the Bakewell Tart
The Independent reports according to the The Bakewell Tart & Coffee House that the recipe for the Bakewell tart
was a „mistake“ from an unexperienced cook of the White Horse Inn in Bakewell. She made a tart instead of a pudding. The ingredients butter, sugar, eggs, almonds and strawberry jam are unsuitable to lose weight, but sound very yummy.
Billions of kalories to die for!
My gentlemen didn’t left much, did they?
-==== REZKONV-Recipe – RezkonvSuite v1.2
Title: Bakewell Tart
Yield: 8 Servings
======================== FOR THE PASTRY ========================
170 grams Plain white flour
75 grams Unsalted butter
================== FOR THE FILLING AND TOPPING ==================
170 grams Strawberry or raspberry jam
110 grams Unsalted butter
110 grams Vanilla sugar
110 grams Ground almonds
4 Egg yolks
3 Egg whites
1 teasp. Bitter almond extract
Handful flaked almonds
Fresh cream, to serve
============================ SOURCE ============================
by Tamasin Day-Lewis
— Edited *RK* 06/02/2006 by
— Ulrike Westphal@Küchenlatein
1. Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl. Rub in the butter
until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Stir in enough iced water to bring the mixture together into a
smooth dough. Roll the pastry out to line a 23 cm tart tin and chill
for 30 minutes, or until required.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Spread a layer of jam generously
over the tart base.
4. Melt the butter and continue to heat until it smells nutty.
5. Whisk together the sugar, ground almonds, egg yolks, egg whites
and almond extract.
6. Pour in the hot butter and whisk until smooth.
7. Spoon the mixture over the jam.
8. Transfer the tart to the oven and bake for about 30 minutes,
until lightly browned and just set, scattering the flaked almonds
over the tart after 25 minutes so that they get a chance to brown
9. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for about 20 minutes.
Serve warm with fresh cream.
:Level of difficulty: Intermediate
:Preparation Time: 35 minutes
: Cooking Time: 30 minutes
* Bäckerei Koll closed in 2011