When I saw the theme Stock Your Exotic Pantry! for this week in the sidebar of the I heart Cooking Clubs Site, I opted for an Adobo recipe I bookmarked in November 2012. I am not very familiar with ancho and chipotle chilies, I had to order them from my favourite spice shop. They sell it in grams, I got 2 ancho chilies as 30 grams
so I had to half the recipe. My pantry is now stocked with an exotic chili paste. Stay tuned what I’ve done with it.
Adobo from Diana Henry
Menge: 150 ml, about 200 grams
Diana Henry’s version of the Mexican paste, made from dried chilies, herbs and vinegar.
- 11 grams chipotle chillies, dried, about 2 large and one small
- 2 ancho chillies, dried, 30 grams
- ½ teasp. cumin seeds
- ½ teasp. coriander seeds
- ¼ teasp. allspice
- 1,5 cm piece of cinnamon stick, I used Ceylon
- ½ teasp. oregano, dried
- 2 large and 1 small garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- ½+¼ teasp. salt, or to taste
- 1 teasp. soft dark brown sugar, or to taste (optional)
- 1 tablesp. red wine vinegar
- 2,5 tablesp. sherry vinegar
- Roast the chillies in a dry frying pan; you don’t want to char them, just make them more pliable (the heat softens them). Discard the stems, and the seeds from all the chipotles and half the anchos.
- Put both types of chillies in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then pull off the heat and leave to soak for 30 minutes. Strain the chillies, reserving the soaking liquid.
- Toast the whole spices in a dry frying pan about 40 seconds until they are fragrant. Now put all the ingredients into a food processor and whizz to a purée, adding enough of the chilli soaking liquid to get it to the consistency of a paste. Taste for seasoning and adjust if you think it needs it.
- Put into a sterilized jar, seal with a vinegar-proof lid and keep in the refrigerator. It will be fine there for four months.
total time: 45 minutes
preparation time: 5 minutes
soaking time: 30 minutes
*=Affiliate-Link to Amazon
Collage Images from Images.com, Stirring the Pot, Couscous & Consciousness & Kahakai Kitchen
For all other great Stock Your Exotic Pantry recipes visit the I heart cooking clubs site