This week the GFGF group cooks with pumpkin. In German we know the word squash, it has two meanings: freshly squashed juice with flesh from citrus fruits and sport. We have only the word Kürbis for butternut and other winter squashes. For the
Pumpkin salad with kale
I used Hokkaido for this – for me – unusual combination from raw and baked pumpkin and kale. It takes a bit time to prepare but it is worth the efforts.
Pumpkin salad with kale
Yield: 4 servings
Pumpkin salad with kale is a delicious autumn salad with baked and raw hokkaido pumpkin. It has been a favourite in Meyer’s deli Kopenhagen. You can use orange instead of tangerine, but keep an eye on the acidity and adjust if necessary with a little honey. Eat it for lunch or as an accompaniment to game or lamb.
- 1 kg hokkaido, washed, halved, seeds and soft flesh removed
- 75 grams pumpkin seeds
- 3 handfuls of kale
- 4 tangerines, peeled, the fillets
- 100 grams sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 dl grape seed oil
- 2 tangerines, the juice
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- ½ clove of garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cm fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated
- sea salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
modified by Ulrike Westphal from:
- Cut one half into wedges and toss in a bit of oil and some salt. Place them on a baking sheet with parchment paper, and bake them at 180 ° for 20-25 minutes, until tender and slightly golden at the edges. Cut the other half into very thin slices on a mandolin iron and place the slices in cold water.
- Rinse the pumpkin thoroughly – you do not need to peel it. Slice it with a large knife, and scrape out the kernels and the stringy offal with a tablespoon. Cut one half into boats and flip them with quite a bit of oil and a sprinkle of salt. Place them on a baking sheet with parchment paper, and bake them at 180 °/356 °F for 20-25 minutes, until tender and slightly golden at the edges. Cut the other half into very thin slices on a mandolin iron and place the slices in cold water.
- Turn the pumpkin seeds in a little oil and salt. Spread them out on a baking sheet with parchment paper and roast them golden in the oven at 150 °C/302 °F for 20-25 minutes.
- Cut the kale in small florets and put them in cold water for 20-25 minutes until crispy. Then transfer the leaves and pumpkin slices to a salad spinner or tea towel to remove excess water.
- Put the toasted sesame seeds in a tall container together with honey, grape seed oil, tangerine juice, mustard, garlic, lemon juice and finely grated ginger. Blend to a smooth dressing, and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss together baked and raw pumpkin along with kale, tangerines, dressing and pumpkin seeds. Season with salt and pepper. Add more honey and lemon juice if needed, and serve the salad.
total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
preparation time: 15 minutes
cooking/baking time: 1 hour
*=Affiliate-Link zu Amazon
Don’t miss Donna’s Pumpkin Cheesecake, Ellen’s Crustless Pumpkin Pie, Kayte’s Pumpkin – Pumpkin Streusel Muffins, Margaret’s Curried Pumpkin Soup and Peggy’s Pie