Serving Up Salads!, the theme for this week at I♥Cooking Clubs. Last week I had a fruit salad as dessert, this week I was looking for something as a main. When I saw this wonderful tomatoes
at the weekly market, I couldn’t resist. I also bought a pot of basil and with the last parsley stalks from my garden. I prepared
Tomato salad with warm basil dressing
from Nigel Slater’s Tender. The recipe can also found online. I served it with some homemade sourdough baguette, really delicious.
I had no anchovis at hand, so I substituted them with some pickled Kalamata olives and dry salted capers.
Tomato salad with warm basil dressing from Nigel Slater
YIELD: Serves 4 as a side or two as a main
Nigel Slater recipe for Tomato salad with warm basil dressing
- 3 small shallots
- 100 ml olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 bushy sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lemon, the juice
- 1 tablesp. red-wine vinegar
- 8 anchovy fillets °
- 20 medium to large basil leaves
- 25-30 small tomatoes
modified by Ulrike Westphal from:
Tender Vol. I *
- Peel the shallots, chop them finely and warm in a shallow pan with the olive oil. Peel and finely slice the garlic and add it to the softening shallots. Remove the parsley leaves from the stalk and chop them roughly.
- Stir them into the shallot with the juice of the lemon and the red-wine vinegar.
- Rinse, dry and roughly chop the anchovies, tear up the basil leaves and add both to the dressing.
- Cut the tomatoes in halves or quarters, depending on their size, dropping them into a mixing bowl as you go. Pour over the warm dressing (never get basil too hot), toss gently.serve Tomato salad with warm basil dressing.
° instead of of chopping fish fillets 1 used 5 Kalamata Olives in brine and 1 tsp. salted capers
total time: 20 minutes
preparation time: 10 minutes
Koch-/Backzeit: 5 Minuten
*=Affiliate-Link zu Amazon
For all other great Serving up Salads! visit the I heart cooking clubs site
more Nigel Slater recipes
more recipes and entries in English