I hope you all had a peaceful advent season. I skiped Gifts from the Heart!, Mystery Box Madness December ’14 and Party Pleasers because I was too busy to find fitting recipes.
I had some yellow beet left and at the beginning of the month I decided to make
Yellow beet, goat’s cheese and caper pizza
from Diany Henry. I left this delicious pizza for December Potluck. The recipe says it serves 2. I always get 4 servings from 500 grams flour in a pizza dough, so I had a very nice Twitter conversation with Diana Henry. At least it is the taste that counts:
Yellow beet, goat’s cheese and caper pizza from Diana Henry
Yield: 4 servings
- 5 grams dried yeast
- 350 grams lukewarm water
- 250 grams strong plain flour
- 250 grams plain flour, plus more to dust
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- Slug of olive oil
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus more to drizzle
- 4 large red onions, about 150 grams each, very finely sliced
- about 10 thyme sprigs
- 250 grams goat’s cheese, in chunks
- 500 grams roasted yellow beet, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp capers, rinsed
- Dissolve the yeast in 1 ½ tbsp of the water and mix in 2 tbsp flour. Stir to make a smooth paste and leave under a cloth, somewhere warm, for 30 minutes to form a ‘sponge’.
- Put the flours (I used only wheat flour Type 550) in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in the sponge, salt, oil and remaining water and mix, gradually bringing in the dry ingredients, to form a wet dough. Knead for 10 minutes until satiny and elastic. Put in a clean bowl, cover with a cloth and leave somewhere warm for 1 ½ hours, or until doubled in size. Preheat the oven to 280 °C and put in pizza stones, unglazed terraotta tiles or baking sheets.
- Meanwhile, for the topping, heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onions. Turn them in the fat, add 1 tbsp water, cover, place over very low heat and sweat for 15 minutes. Add the thyme and set aside.
- Plomp the dough on to a lightly floured work surface and knead for 2 minutes. Divide into 4 and roll each piece into a 24 cm round. Put on well-floured baking sheets or large pieces of cardboard to support them while you add the topping.
- Top with the onions, cheese and beetroot. Season and drizzle with oil. Slide on to the hot stones or baking sheets (oil baking sheets at the last minute). Bake for 5 minutes, scattering with capers 5 minutes before the end. Serve immediately.
total time: 3 hours
preparation time: 15 minutes
cooking /baking time: 10 minutes
*=Affiliate-Link to Amazon
For all other great IHCC Decemember Potluck! recipes visit the I heart cooking clubs site
more Diana Henry recipes
more recipes and entries in English