For the Cookie Swap Party , a joint event of SHF 22.05.2021 ** and IMMB, hosted by Jennifer, The Domestic Goddess 22.05.2021 **, and Alberto, Il Forno, you may share more than one recipe. Yesterday I started with the Chestnut Cookies, today I want to go on with
Apricot frangipane swirls
I had a lot of difficulties to translate the German name: Aprikosen-Marzipan-Schnecken, something like apricot-marzipan-snails.
I found this recipe in one of Germany’s well-known women’s magazine BRIGITTE. The whole family and the neighbours like them;-)
Apricot frangipane swirls
Yield: about 100
Apricot frangipane swirls are shortcrust pastry filled with marzipan and apricots
- 200 grams butter, chilled
- 400 grams plain flour
- 150 grams sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg
- flour for dusting
- 150 grams dried apricots, finely chopped
- 70 ml Amaretto *
- 180 grams marzipan; almond paste *
- 120 grams icing sugar
- 150 grams apricot jam
- icing sugar for dusting
- For the SHORTCRUST PASTRY cut the butter into 1.5 cm cubes and distribute them evenly over the flour. Rub the butter lightly into the flour with your finger tips, Lifting the mixture while rubbing to keep it cool and as airy as possible. Continue until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar to the dry ingredients and mix in well.
- Beat the egg. Make a well in the centre of the flour and stir in the egg mixture with a knife to produce soft dough.
- Turn the dough onto a floured board and kneed lightly unitl smooth.
- Place in freezer bag or cling film and fridge for at least 1 h.
In a small saucepan bring the chopped apricots with amaretto to a boil and simmer for 3 min. The apricots should have soaked the liquid.
- Cut the marzipan almond paste into small dices. Mix together marzipan, icing sugar, jam and the apricot mixture until well combined.
- Divide the shortcrust pastry into 3 pieces. Roll out each on clingfilm to a rectangle 15 cm wide and 1/2 cm thick. Spread with filling. Roll up along the long axis of each piece to give a long roll. Wrap each rolls into clingfilm and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 °C, fan 180 °C, gas 4.
- With a serrated knife cut the into 1/2 cm slices dipping the knife into warm water in between. Bake for 12 mins.
- Cool the cookies on the parchment paper
- Store the Apricot frangipane swirls in a metal container between sheets of parchment paper.
total time: 2 hours
prep time: 15 minutes
cook/baking: 12 minutes
*=Affiliate-Link zu Amazon
** 22.05.2021 http://www.domesticgoddess.ca/; http://www.domesticgoddess.ca/sugar-high-fridays/ no longer available