Last weekend I visited a farmer’s market, just for the great offer of heirloom tomatoes.
I couldn’t resist and bought some. I prepared the oven roasted tomato sauce and the remaining 500 grams I ladled as a tomato curry
over rice into a bowl. Instead of using crushed tomatoes, I chopped all of tomatoes but 4 and added them to the onion mixture.
The result was a really delicious meal.
Nigel Slater Tomato Curry
A tasty curry with some end-of-summer tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, about 110 grams, peeled and chopped
- 1,5 tbsp.rapeseed oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 hot chili pepper, chopped, with seeds
- 0,5 + 1/8 tsp. brown mustard seeds
- 1 1/4 tsp. tumeric, ground
- 1 1/4 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 piece of ginger, about 2,5 cm, peeled, cut into match stick sized shreds
- 220 grams crushed tomatoes from a tin
- 4 tomatoes
- 200 ml water
- 4 tbsp. plain yoghurt
- In a pan cook onions slowly on low to moderate heat until translucent. Add garlic and chili to the onions. Stir in the mustard seeds, turmeric and cumin seeds and continue cooking. Add ginger, cook briefly, then add crushed tomatoes water and a few twists of pepper. Bring to a boil, then add the whole tomatoes.
- Turn the heat douwn and simmer covered with a lid about 25 to 35 Minutes, turning the tomatoes once or twice during cooking. They should be softened, but not totally collapsed.
- Push the tomatoes to one side and stir in the yoghurt and let the sauce heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over rice or with naan.
total time: 50 minutes
preparation time:15 minutes
cooking time: 35 minutes
*=Affiliate-Link to Amazon
For all other great Ladle It Up! recipes visit the I heart cooking clubs site
more Nigel Slater recipes
more recipes and entries in English
Pingback: Rezepte von Nigel Slater - kuechenlatein.com
Look at all the gorgeous tomatoes at the farmers market. I would bring back a bagful too!
Your tomato curry looks delicious. Serving it over rice is just perfect!
What a perfect use for those gorgeous end of summer tomatoes…….I can almost smell it!
Love the pictures of the heirloom tomatoes in your market. So colorful and pretty!
Your tomato curry looks mouthwatering! It is exactly the kind of dish I’d like to be eating right now. I would definitely like to make this dish soon:)
So jealous of your lovely market. Not many around here. And you had me at Curry!
This looks amazing – the perfect way to use up those end of season tomatoes.
Great photos–gosh that tomato curry looks amazing and all that lovely sauce for the rice to absorb. This would make me a very happy girl right now. ;-)
Delicious! Homegrown tomatoes in tomatoe sauce – what can possibly go wrong? Made a beautiful supper.
Pingback: Tomato, chipolata and new potato lunch(box) with mustardy vinaigrette - kuechenlatein.com