It’s November’s Monthly Featured Ingredient Challenge at I Heart Cooking Clubs and we are going with Apples and Pears! I still a lot of recipes marked with sticky notes from Hugh’s River Cottage Fruit Every Day!* and so I decided to make
a variation of the traditional British dish made of sausages and mashed potatoes. I liked this tasty dish. Here’s the way to my collection of apple recipes, I recommend apple, potato and red onion salad
Yield: Serves 2 as a main course, 4 as a side dish
- a trickle of olive,rapeseed or sunflower oil; Ulrike: rapeseed oil
- 4 well-seasoned butcher’s sausages
- 4 medium-large eating apples; Ulrike: Juwel von Kirchwerder
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C/Gas 4. Line a small roasting dish with baking parchment, or grease it well
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the sausages and cook them for about 10 minutes, turning frequently – they’ll cook through in the oven.
- Meanwhile, cut a little slice off the base of each apple so they stand steady. Run a small, sharp knife around the equator of each apple, scoring the skin so it won’t split as it cooks. Use an apple corer to remove the core of each apple from the top. You’ll need to go into the apple with the corer several times, moving it into a slightly different place each time, in order to create a space in the middle large enough to take a sausage.
- Stand the apples on the baking sheet. Pick the browned sausages up with a fork and push into the apple cavities, pressing them down so they go right in. Transfer to the oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the apples are tender to the point of a sharp knife. Take out one of the sausages and check it’s cooked through and piping hot in the centre.
total time: 1 hour
preparation time: 15 minutes
cooking/baking time: 10 + 30 minutes
*=Affiliate-Link to Amazon
Photo Credit: I ♥ Cooking Clubs
For all other great Apples and Pears! recipes visit the I heart cooking clubs site