This week GFGF-group cook with any vegetable we still get fresh. Last month I chose parsnips and a few days later I came across the selection of recipes inspired by the Gamache series. The parsnip and apple soup is served twice in the Nature of the Beast. First Reine-Marie eat it in a conversation with her husband in the bistro, then she prepared it herself.
Dinner was served, starting with parsnip and apple soup, with a drizzle of walnut infused oil on top.
„Olivier gave me the recipe,” said Reine-Marie, turning down the light in the kitchen.
Gamache took a couple of spoonfuls of soup. It was smooth and earthy and just a touch sweet.
„Delicious,” he said to Reine-Marie, but his mind was elsewhere.
All ingredients for the
Parsnip and Apple Soup with a Drizzle of walnut-infused Oil
were fresh available. It is a very delicious soup. I served it as a main dish with English muffins
Parsnip and Apple Soup
Yield: 4 servings as a main
Parsnip and Apple Soup with a Drizzle of walnut-infused Oil is served twiced in the book The Nature of the Beast from Louise Penny
- 60 grams walnut pieces
- 60 ml walnut oil
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 medium leeks, about 340 grams, light green and white parts cut into 3 cm length, washed
- 70 grams celery root, peeled and diced, prepared weight
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 340 grams parsnips, peeled and finely diced
- 2 apples, Ulrike: Holsteiner Cox, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped, 325 grams prepared weight
- 750 ml chicken broth
- 30 ml orange juice
- 1 lemon, the juice
- 1/2 tsp. tumeric, ground; Ulrike: left out
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom, ground
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, ground
- 300 grams yoghurt, 3,8 % fat
- 4 tbsp. chives, thinly sliced
- For the WALNUT-INFUSED OIL preheat the oven to 180 °C /350°F. Spread the walnuts out on a baking sheet and bake until well toasted, about 12 minutes. While still warm, add them along with
the walnut oil to universal chopper * for the hand held blender. Process until the walnuts are very smooth. Scrape the walnut oil into a small bowl. Cover tightly and let stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour or up to 6 hours, but no longer.
- .For the SOUP heat the olive oil and butter in a 5-liter pot over medium-low heat just until the butter is foaming. Stir in the leeks and celery root. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, just until the leeks have softened, but not browned, about 8 minutes
- Add the parsnips and apples, reduce the heat to very low, and cover the pot. Cook, stirring every few minutes, until the parsnips and apples have softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the broth, orange juice, lemon juice, turmeric, cardamom, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil and adjust the heat so the soup is simmering. Cover and cook until all the vegetables are
tender, about 20 minutes. Set the soup aside to cool slightly. Puree the cooled soup well with a hand held blender *. The soup may be made to this point up to 2 days in advance.
- Return the soup to the pot and reheat gently until simmering. Stir in the yogurt and chives just before serving. Spoon into warm soup bowls and drizzle some of the walnut oil over each serving
total time: 1 hour
prepararion time: 20 minutes
cooking/baking time: 40 minutes
* = Amazon Affiliate-Link
more recipes with parsnips
more Gamache inspired recipes at Küchenlatein: